Sunday 3 November 2019

208. Protest


This year in September saw thousands of strikes and protests take place all over the world to raise awareness of climate change. An estimated 6 million took part and the key date was chosen as it took place days before the UN climate summit.

At the time I had a friend over to explore Lisbon and thought I wouldn't get to see the protests let alone take part in them. However, as we sat for pão de deus and coffee we heard shouting outside and went to the window to see what was happening. Of course the march was there and hundreds of people came past. Excited we finished our coffee and joined in, despite the old woman beside me telling me in portuguese 'nothing will change'.

From Chiado we walked on to Rossio, joining in the chant 'não há planeta B!' (There's no planet B). We didn't have signs but we felt our presence was nevertheless useful, adding to the numbers.

I sort of count this has half achieved as we were only there for 30 mins to an hour and we had no signs. But still I'm happy that my presence may have helped in some way. Either way, I feel like this year has been a start in being more eco friendly, and the protest has been part of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

UA-55178825-1