Thursday 27 January 2022

189. Read 1 book for each month for 6 months

 


Crying in H Mart by Michelle Zauner

In my late twenties I feel I've worked harder to connect with the side of me that is foreign, and like the main character (and author) of this book, I want to really engage and live within this side. Like Michelle, I don't speak my Mother's tongue fluently but also like Michelle, I try hard to connect to the food and people.

I've never been to Korea but growing up in Romania we were introduced to bimbap and kimchi from the Korean students at the American school. The book has made me want to travel to Korea and warm my heart and stomach with it's broths, meats and rices. 

I also enjoyed the way it was written. It wasn't particularly overly poetic but rather straight forward which makes sense given the subject matter of death. And if anything it'll make you appreciate your mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment

UA-55178825-1