Friday 23 November 2018

189. Read 1 book for each month for 6 months



Tipping the Velvet

This year I discovered Sarah Waters through a copy of the Night Watch I picked up in a charity shop. An English writer who I've come to love, her books have a common theme; history, sex and lesbians. That said there's more to them than that. The books are also beautifully written and constantly captivating - Fingersmith being the best example of this (try and find a book with more twists).
All of this said after the Night Watch and Fingersmith I found Tipping the Velvet slightly less captivating. Perhaps it was the lack of shocking twists or the fact I'd grown slightly more accustomed to historical lesbianism but for whatever reason, this was a slow read for me. Despite this, it was still a good book. Reading about lesbians and cross-dressers in the Victorian era is truly eye-opening and never dull. And if you haven't read Sarah Waters yet I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

UA-55178825-1